.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pastorway

And He Himself gave some to be....evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ...
- Ephesians 4:11-12

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED TO www.timeintheword.org

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hill Country of Texas

Pastor - Providence Reformed Baptist Church
Director - TIME in the Word Ministries

Monday, June 04, 2007

An Update

So where have I been recently? Good question! If you find the answer please let me in on it.

Seriously, I do covet you prayers. My workplace (outside the church) has found it advantageous to the bottom line to cut back on the number of employees at our location and the result is that the work gets split between fewer and fewer people. The hours and work have been hard, hot, and long. As Jonathan Hunt pointed out in a message from Genesis recently, "Hard work is the result if sin!" Thanks, Jonathan! I appreciate the reminder. I think. :)

But my attention and energy has also been directed toward seeking out where the Lord is sending us next ministering to His Body and we may well find out this month. I have spent the last 2 weeks preparing a message that I will preach at an undisclosed location on Sunday, June 10. After several days of visiting with pulpit committee members and then after preaching Sunday the committee will seek to know the will of God regarding whether or not I will be asked to come be their pastor! So pray for me as I continue to prepare and as we travel and I preach Sunday. I will certainly tell you more when I am able.

In the mean time, here is the outline for the message I will be preaching from Isaiah 1:10-20 titled Iniquity and the Sacred Meeting (audio available next week):

I. The Purpose of Worship – vs. 10-11
A. Hear the Word of the Lord (vs. 10)
1. Preaching
a. Salvation – Rom 1:16-17; 10:17
b. Sanctification – John 17:17
c. Sound Doctrine – 2 Tim 3:16-17; 4:1-5
2. Praise – Eph 5:18-19
B. Give Glory to God (vs. 11)
1. Thanks – 1 Thess. 5:16-18
2. Offerings – 2 Cor 8:1-7
3. Things that “delight” God – Rom 12:1-2; 1 Cor 6:20
II. The Practice of Worship – vs. 12-15 (iniquity = good things/wrong motive)
A. Worship that Displeases God – Amos 5:21-24; Zech 7:4-7
B. Having a Form of Godliness – 2 Tim 3:1-5
C. Lips vs. Heart – Mark 7:6-7
III. The Preparation for Worship – vs. 16-17
A. Put Away Evil (Repent) – Eph 4:17-24
B. True Religion – James 1:27
C. Spirit and Truth – John 4:19-24
D. Reverence – Ps 95:6-7; 96:8-9 – (chief quality of worship)
IV. The Provision for Worship – vs. 18-20
A. The Forgiveness of Sins – (vs. 18) – Col 1:13-14
B. The Foundation and Cornerstone - 1 Peter 2:1-5; Eph 2:19-22
C. The Fellowship of the Body – 1 Cor 3:16; 2 Cor 6:16
D. For the Mouth of the Lord has Spoken (vs. 20) – frame worship with the Word of God
Application: Acts 2:40-47
Church is not something you do (rote ritual, Amos 5).
Church is not somewhere you go (spirit and truth, John 4)
Church is what you ARE – we must not mix iniquity with the sacred meeting, nor can we allow ourselves to confuse the building for the Body!


~pastorway

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be praying for your clarity of vision. Not popular-speak vision, but true and honest God-given vision. Let your voice be strong and clear. Let your lips have coals upon them. Let the message find a fertile seed-bed in the hearts of the hearers.

May God be glorified. Soli Deo Gloria.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll be praying for you. I know you are excited and burdened to preach again, and I trust the Lord will be with you as you enter the pulpit this coming weekend.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home