.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

pastorway

And He Himself gave some to be....evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ...
- Ephesians 4:11-12

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED TO www.timeintheword.org

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hill Country of Texas

Pastor - Providence Reformed Baptist Church
Director - TIME in the Word Ministries

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Q & A: The Hope of Eternal Life

I was recently given an opportunity to reply to a list of questions asked of a group of pastors. I want to share a few of these this week and I hope these questions and my answers provoke thought and further study of the Word of God.

Here is today's Q & A:

What is the Scriptural Basis for your salvation and hope of eternal life?

My Scriptural basis and hope of eternal life is based upon the finished work of Jesus Christ as my substitute. I was born a sinner by nature, as is every person (Rom. 3:23) except Christ (Heb. 4:15). As such I was dead in sin and guilty before a holy God, deserving only death (Rom 6:23), eternal torment (Luke 16:24), and judgment in the lake of fire forever (Rev. 20:15). However, solely by His grace (Eph 2:8), God through the work of the Holy Spirit and His Word convicted me of my sin (Rom. 1:16-17), effectually called me to new life (Rom. 8:30), regenerated me (Eph 2:1), and gave me the free gifts of repentance (Acts 5:31; 11:18) and faith (Rom 10:17; Eph 2:8-9). At the point in time that I repented of my sin and trusted Christ I was justified before God by faith alone (Rom 5:1) as the righteousness of Christ was imputed to me (Rom. 4:23-35). Further, by His death on the cross Jesus has paid my debt (Col 1:19-20; 2:13-14), bearing the full wrath of God for all my sin through the sufferings of the Garden (Luke 22:44), the crucifixion (Luke 23:33-47), and in the suffering of separation from the Father while on the cross wherein He cried out, “My God, My God, Why have You forsaken Me?” (Psalm 22:1; Matt. 27:46). His cry from the cross, “It is finished” (John 19:30) declared the price for my redemption secured (1 Cor. 6:19-20), and upon my conversion the Holy Spirit indwelt me and seals me (Eph 1:14) as a guarantee of the final and complete redemption of my spirit and body at glorification (Rom 8:30). His resurrection proves that God’s justice has been satisfied and that He has conquered both sin and death (1 Cor 15:54-57), thereby giving me freely eternal life with Him in the New Heavens and New Earth (2 Peter 3:13). Further, the Holy Spirit bears witness with my spirit that I am a child of God (1 John 5:10), giving me assurance (1 John 5:13), peace (Phil 4:7) , fruit to bear (Gal 5:22-23), and faith that leads to good works (James 2:26; Eph 2:10) performed in obedience to and out of love for the Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:15, 21).


1 Comments:

Blogger Laura E'lise said...

I had to fill out a college application recently and this, I must say, was exactly what I needed. The scriptural references helped me to depict clearly what I knew to be true relating to eternal life in Christ. thank you for writing this, it was and is very appreciated.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home